December 1: Changes are coming in January with pre-registration required for all drop-in opportunities at Mid-Sun. These changes are being made to enhance the ease and accessibility of pickleball to our community members and guests. Further details will be posted when they become available.
November 24: January 2022 lessons will start on Tuesday January 11 and Thursday January 13 and registration begins on Monday December 6 at 7am online and 9am in person and over the phone at 403 254 8058 extension 221. Due to the popularity of these lessons, they are expected to fill on Monday December 6.
For more information and registration visit our online registration system at https://anc.ca.apm.activecommunities.com/midsun and hover your mouse over ACTIVITIES and select pickleball.
The Mid-Sun Community Centre is committed to providing a comfortable environment to play pickleball and the following guidelines have been implemented to ensure a positive experience for all players. These guidelines are subject to change.
- 40 players maximum.
- Drop-ins are available
- Wednesday 1:00pm – 2:45pm (no access before 12:50pm)
- Friday 10:15am – 1:30pm (no access before 10:10am)
- Last drop in before holiday closure is Wednesday, December 15
- Play will resume on Wednesday January 12, 2022.
- Use hand sanitizer before entering the gym.
- Masks are worn in the gym when not playing a game.
- A best effort is made to practice social distancing.
- Beginner and Advancing Beginner players have 3 courts on the West side of the gym and games are to 9 points win by 1.
- Intermediate players have 3 courts on the East side of the gym. Rally point to 11 or 15 points win by 2.
- A paddle rack is used for fair access to courts.
- Curtains are hung at all 4 lower windows to reduce sun glare.
- Bring your own paddle, balls are provided by Mid-Sun and sanitized before use.
- Please be open to learning from your peers; Mid-Sun staff will not provide instruction or clarify rules.
- All equipment needs to be returned into the blue lockers in gym storage.
- A single drop in is $5, a 5 visit pass is $10 and an 11 visit value pass is $20.
- 5 and 11 visit value passes do not expire and are transferable. We will be accepting payment via Debit, Credit, and Paper Bills only (no coins please).
Sign up for our Recreation Newsletter to receive accurate, timely information regarding pickleball, lessons and programs at Mid-Sun. This newsletter is purely used to distribute information regarding general registration dates, lesson offerings, drop-in dates, cancellations and operational updates affecting our facility.
Enhance your game in a fun and socially distanced environment with Kevin Doucet and Steve Meyers. 3 courts, a ball machine, balls, and paddles (if needed) are provided. There is a maximum of 12 players in each set of lessons and all lessons are held at the Mid-Sun Community Centre located at 50 Midpark Rise SE and residents with a valid community membership receive a $10 discount .
Tuesday January 11- February 8 (Session 1)
Beginner 6:00pm – 7:30pm
Advancing Beginner 7:45pm – 9:15pm
Tuesday February 15 – March 15 (Session 2)
Advancing Beginner 6:00pm – 7:30pm
Intermediate Plus 7:45pm – 9:15pm (8 players maximum)
Thursday January 13- February 10 (Session 1)
Beginner 11:15am – 12:45pm
Advancing Beginner: 1:00pm – 2:30pm
Thursday February 17 – March 17 (Session 2)
Advancing Beginner 11:15am – 12:45pm
Intermediate Plus 1:00pm – 2:30pm (8 players maximum)
- Swing structure, forehand and backhand
- Serving practice, rules, technique
- Foundational game rules
- Basic drop shots
- Basic game tactics
- Developing consistency
- Introduction to third shot drops
- Kitchen line play
- Basic volley technique
- Blocking volleys
- Improving foot movement
- Overhead and lobs
Intermediate Plus (8 player maximum)
- Techniques, skills, and strategies for both the returning and serving team including third shot drops, third shot drives with control, an overhead smash and returns of overheads.
- Consistency of the short game and how to attack and defend with control.
- Condition games are used towards the end of class time to reinforce your technique changes.
Community Centre Hours
Administrative Office Staff will be working from Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm. We enjoy hearing from you either by phone at 403 254 8058 or email:
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Pickleball Lesson and Drop-ins: (Caroline): firstname.lastname@example.org
Facility Coordinator / Room Bookings (Vanessa): email@example.com
The Calgary Pickleball Club is a solid resource for everything Pickleball in Calgary. Click HERE to visit their website. Play Pickleball is a valuable online learning resource; check it out by clicking the link or by visiting www.playpickleball.com.The International Federation of Pickleball skill level scale is a great resource to determine what category your current skills are rated as.